new member says hi RE: A SONG OF LIFE ANDDEATH(and 6' sans).
Michael Barclay
2004-08-24 23:13:53 UTC
YOU BETCHA-but there's a lot more to it than that. Quine sa non-monocots
send up one single seed leaf Dicotyledons send up a
pair.
Luv
Monocots have parallel veins in their leaves. Dicots have netted veins.
true. Corn=monocot. Bean=Dicot. kewl...learn something new everyday!
even at my venerable old age...
lilies, orchids, agaves, palms, grasses=monocot.
-LYNN
Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

hermine
2004-08-25 00:44:49 UTC
Post by Norma Lewis
But Michael, I already have a grown plant, I don't know that the first
two leaves looked like. I know if I can see the seedling. Radishes, are
monocotes two leaves, Thanks, luv Norma
radishes are dicots, two leaves!

and the veins are like netting, they are not parallel.

herm
Norma Lewis

Michael LaForest
2004-08-25 02:14:40 UTC
Hi Norma et al,
Can you remember this rhyme? :

I'm Chiquita banana, I've got monocot veins
When my seed starts to grow a single leaf it will gain!
(I won't go on)...

Here are two more characteristics of monocots:

1. seeds have one section (Oh, what a lovely bunch of coconuts!)
2. stem grows by deposits on its inside

Mike

From: "Norma Lewis" <***@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:24:53 -0700
To: <***@yahoogroups.com>
ANDDEATH(and 6' sans).

herm
Norma Lewis

From: "Norma Lewis" <***@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:24:53 -0700
To: <***@yahoogroups.com>

Russ
2004-08-25 15:53:08 UTC
Re: [Sansevierias] new member says hi RE: A SONG OF LIFE ANDDEATH(and 6' sans).Dear Norma.

Do you know which Sansevieria the Huntington accession number 77662 applies to???
Found an old broken label that I can hardly read, I can see it's a trifasciata and is from
Manny Singer. I'm suspecting the label is for 'Austrian Black' (which of course is 'Black Sport').

Thanks much.
Russ
Norma Lewis
2004-08-25 16:34:18 UTC
Re: [Sansevierias] new member says hi RE: A SONG OF LIFE ANDDEATH(and 6' sans).From momory you are right. That may have been a field collected plant. I will need to look it up. Why was the name changed from 'Austraian Black' to '
'Black Sport;' who did that, Manny named that plant in i1968 or before. What right does 'Black Sport' have. I believe Madelyn did that after Manny and David died. I'll uphold Manny Singers name. That makes my blood boil. Hermine should have some memory on this, so should Juan. I'll check the index cards, I did have that plant out there. Norma

hermine
2004-08-25 17:03:02 UTC
Post by Norma Lewis
From momory you are right. That may have been a field collected
plant. I will need to look it up. Why was the name changed from
'Austraian Black' to '
'Black Sport;' who did that, Manny named that plant in i1968 or before.
What right does 'Black Sport' have. I believe Madelyn did that after
Manny and David died. I'll uphold Manny Singers name. That makes my
blood boil. Hermine should have some memory on this, so should
Juan. I'll check the index cards, I did have that plant out there. Norma
My crystal ball does not explode over this. i think this is just the same
plant happening in two places. my personal name for this was "bantel
reverts" or something like that. i may have described it as near black,
like Loops Pride.

let us not boil our blood over this one, there is ample reason for making
blood sausages over other thefts of name, actual thefts.

hermine
Norma Lewis

Russ
2004-08-25 21:22:30 UTC
Norma, I found a reference to accession #77622 in my
notes, it is the Huntington number for Austrian Black.
And mine is the Singer clone. So you don't have to fool with looking it up.
Thanks, Russ
Norma Lewis

hermine
2004-08-25 21:47:21 UTC
Post by Norma Lewis
I may have sent that one to you, from the Huntington. They got it from
me, and I got it from Northridge Gardens who was selling off the Manny
Singer collection for Burt Siner his wife. The plant came collected from
Manny Singer when he was in Africa. I may be able even to find location
data. Norma
when was manny in africa?

hermine
Russ
2004-08-25 22:41:18 UTC
Aha, thanks for that trail on Austrian Black all the way back to Africa, Norma. If you could find
the collection data on it, I'd dance at your wedding.

Kind wonder where the 'Austrian' came from in the name.

Russ
hermine
2004-08-25 22:41:19 UTC
Post by Russ
Aha, thanks for that trail on Austrian Black all the way back to Africa,
Norma. If you could find
the collection data on it, I'd dance at your wedding.
Kind wonder where the 'Austrian' came from in the name.
Russ
AUSTRIAN is what Loyce Andrews was calling it in 1976, and who knows how
long before? i got it from her in 1976.

hermine
Norma Lewis

Russ
2004-08-26 04:28:01 UTC
No mein leibling, 'Mein Leibling' is not the same as 'Austrian Black/Black Sport'.
I think you're,,, er,,, it's much prettier.
Russ
Norma Lewis
2004-08-26 05:35:17 UTC
Well, thanks Russ, I think I bump off the old man, I've been threating him that I can get a younger man, and spend all of his money. Whoops there goes the kids inheritness.
I have another variegated plant that is tiny and hardly made it. After 8 years it's finally growing. It may be a S. variegated pattens. The leaves are still pretty flat down, round. It could be a S. cylindrica not a long leaf yet, the next leaves should go straight up now. I'll keep you posted. Norma

Russ
2004-08-26 03:28:59 UTC
AUSTRIAN is what Loyce Andrews was calling it in 1976, and who knows how long before? i got it from her in 1976.

hermine

Still, I wonder why 'Austrian'. How did a European country happen to slide in there, and then if European,
why not 'Hungarian', or 'Swiss'. How 'bout Czechoslovakian Black'? Guess we'll never know.

Curious what was in the mind of the one naming this.

Russ
Norma Lewis
2004-08-26 01:01:03 UTC
Russ the only informaton I could find is exactly what you have, I forgot I gave that plant to the Hu
ntington Gardens, so they have no more information than I gave them, ex Northridge Gardens, ex Manny Singer. That is where my trail ends. We don't know who named the plant or where Manny got it. If it was a species it may have come from his trip. I was hopping that was the case. It may also go under the name of (Black Gold) that is just one more clue. ( I have copied off the index cards three times, on different occasions so that I could pick up errors by comparing each copy) that the Huntington Gardens has on record. Thank goodness I did that, if we only had Manny Singers black book. I think that plant must be a hybrid. Take a leaf off and plant it and see what comes up. It may revert to the species. Norma

hermine
2004-08-26 01:13:15 UTC
Post by Norma Lewis
Russ the only informaton I could find is exactly what you have, I forgot I
gave that plant to the Hu
ntington Gardens, so they have no more information than I gave them, ex
Northridge Gardens, ex Manny Singer. That is where my trail ends. We don't
know who named the plant or where Manny got it. If it was a species it
may have come from his trip. I was hopping that was the case. It may
also go under the name of (Black Gold) that is just one more clue. ( I
have copied off the index cards three times, on different occasions so
that I could pick up errors by comparing each copy) that the Huntington
Gardens has on record. Thank goodness I did that, if we only had Manny
Singers black book. I think that plant must be a hybrid. Take a leaf off
and plant it and see what comes up. It may revert to the species. Norma
An Hybid, reproduced from a leaf cut, will come true, provided it is not
variegated. I do not think this plant, nor any of the similar ones are
hybrids, I think they are some kind of kinky form of trifasciata.

hermine
ps it is always interesting to root leaves like that anyway
hermine
2004-08-25 17:08:17 UTC
Post by Norma Lewis
Clever, but I always new that you were> thanks Norma
I have bananas on my head as i write.

I shall segué into the Banana Boat Song shortly.

hermine

DAY! me say day,
me say day me say day OH!@
Daylight come and we want go home....

Come mr Tally Man, Tally me Bananas....

etc
Norma Lewis

Michael Barclay
2004-08-25 18:53:34 UTC
YES! WE HAVE NO BANANAS, WE HAVE NO BANANAS TODAY! c. 1941

I'm Chiquita Banana and I want to say
Bananas are delightful in so many ways
You can put them in a pie
Anyway you want to eat them
You can put them in a pie
It's impossible to beat them.

But bananas are a product of the very, very
tropical Equator
So never, never put bananas in the refrigerator!

Lyrics by my great uncle, Irving Joslow, founder of the United Fruit Company
His mother from Russia sold bananas from a push cart on Orchard Street
She was Tante Ita.

He was gay and left his estate to his nephews and neices-$120 million.
The song was written c. 1935 to introduce this exotic fruit to Americans-
New Yorkers already loved them.

I think you should take the act on the road. San. are fun, also. I can't write John Trager phone # here, he mail him please, and ask for it. Give him your phone # and he will call you. I will try and reach him and tell him you want to talk to him. Good Luck. Norma
Clever, but I always new that you were> thanks Norma

I have bananas on my head as i write.

I shall segué into the Banana Boat Song shortly.

hermine

DAY! me say day,
me say day me say day OH!@
Daylight come and we want go home....

Come mr Tally Man, Tally me Bananas....

etc

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

Sansevierias-***@yahoogroups.com

hermine
2004-08-25 20:16:23 UTC
Post by Michael Barclay
YES! WE HAVE NO BANANAS, WE HAVE NO BANANAS TODAY! c. 1941
"I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say
Bananas have to ripen in a certain way-
When they are fleck'd with brown and have a golden hue
Bananas taste the best and are best for you
You can put them in a salad
You can put them in a pie-aye
Any way you want to eat them
It's impossible to beat them
But, bananas like the climate of the very, very tropical equator
So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator."
Post by Michael Barclay
Lyrics by my great uncle, Irving Joslow, founder of the
United Fruit Company
His mother from Russia sold bananas from a push cart on Orchard Street
She was Tante Ita.
He was gay and left his estate to his nephews and neices-$120 million.
The song was written c. 1935 to introduce this exotic fruit to Americans-
New Yorkers already loved them.
THIS IS ONE OF THE FIRST OF MY PERFORMANCE ART PIECES, which i sang in a
Carmen Miranda outfit I cobbled together out of rags from the closet! i
have altered the lyrics to what i remember from the radio. And then I
checked them in Google.
I am HONOURED to be able to say I know the guy whose great uncle wrote this
wonderful song! It was a hit, without even being necessarily a commercial
for BANANAS!

But a we search turns up the following displeasing statement:

"The song was created by a BBDO advertising agency team lead by Robert
Foreman. Foreman and his staff developed the jingle using office talent, an
old piano and a box of paper clips shaken to simulate maracas. Garth
Montgomery wrote the lyrics and co-worker Ken MacKenzie provided the music.
The singer in the original 1944 recording was Patti Clayton, the first in a
long line of Miss Chiquita's."

My friend Jack Feldman of beloved memory, used to sing, YES, WE HAVE NO
BANANAS in Polish.

hermine
Norma Lewis

Michael Barclay
2004-08-25 19:38:17 UTC
NORMA- I believe that Juan picked 'Black Sport' as being the name with the earliest valid authoring.
You can call yours 'Austrian Black'-that's how I refer to mine. Noone will care or chastise you.
Luv

Norma Lewis
2004-08-25 21:43:58 UTC
Re: [Sansevierias] new member says hi RE: A SONG OF LIFE ANDDEATH(and 6' sans).John Trager if it is a snynom. name it can be used. I will keep the name that Manny Singer gave to it. 'Black Sport' came from Grigsby's recently. Norma

Michael Barclay
2004-08-25 22:40:53 UTC
My well wishes to Garth Montgomery-I hope he left an estate of 120 million. I loved the jingle, I loved Carmen Miranda, and I like
underripe bananas-especially the tiny pink lady fingers. Let's hear it for musaceae- I gonna' grow a traveller's tree on the beach like they
used to grow in Madagascar.
Luv,

PS-Like your lyrics better than Montgomery's.